Total Pageviews

Thursday 17 July 2014

Going back to the start...!

So, I usually keep this kind of stuff to myself and write it down in a private diary or something, but... I feel like I should do this publicly.

Seeing as it has a lot to do with the reason why I've stuck with YouTube for over 3 years (officially 4 years in December) now.




When people decide to do something that they're passionate about in the public eye, at some point, you kind of lose sight of where you started, and what made you want to keep going at it in the first place.

Because, stuff like music... it's not easy. Performing live, or doing a recording session, it all requires practice, hard work, and most importantly, passion. If you don't have that, don't expect to do this for long.

I don't know about all the other people that have quit up until now, but for me, I considered quitting a lot of times because the thing I was doing... changed. There used to be a lot of great Vocaloid songs that featured lyrics that a lot of us could relate to... that I could relate to.

Now, it's all about really fast lyrics, really high-pitched ranges, and really catchy tunes.... with the emptiest lyrics I have ever heard. A lot of my favourite subbers on YouTube have either decided to move onto songs by utaites that became mainstream artists or not upload anything altogether unless they find something their fancy.

It's really depressing. The only musician I really liked that recently came out with new material was Jin/Shizen-no-Teki-P with his Kagerou Project and IA/1st Place stuff. He may not be the best musician (as my friend, kuowiz will argue), but his simple lyrics speak to a broad audience with topics that matter. That's what matters to me the most as both a dubber and a songwriter.

The last song I ever did an English dub of that actually had personal meaning to me.

I have actually considered quitting several times, and sticking to live performances. Although, after a while, even that got tiring, because anime music in Vancouver isn't exactly the best thing for a live performer... (Unless you're a full-scale band or an idol group, people will seldom give a shit about you as a performer here)

I've been at this for 3 years, yet people I know have been at this for a lot less of a time have been excelling a lot farther than me.

While getting ready for Minicomi Vancouver this Saturday (ahahah... w-why am I writing this blog post when I should be getting stuff ready?! OTL), it finally hit me.

Just like the artists at comic markets like Minicomi... the audience matters.

No matter how good you do a song, nobody's really going to care about it unless you do songs that everyone knows and loves. No matter how good your art skills are, nobody's really going to care unless you're drawing something from their favourite show.


In short.... I was too much of a proud hipster to do well. = A =;;;

Now don't get me wrong, I'm still going to be really picky about what I upload, because I don't like band wagons. (Senbonzakura... never again. OTL) I won't do a song unless a) I know I can relate well to it, and b) I know I can pull it off, and pull it off well.

What I'm trying to say is... that's what the big difference me and the others were. Not in musical skill, which was what I thought was the case, and hence, I considered quitting several times... But, rather, I just decided to upload either really old songs no one really cared about anymore, or songs that nobody knew. I never gave myself a chance to build up a better fanbase.


...Well. That's about to change now.

Granted, things just got a lot harder with the fact that I'll be moving to a smaller apartment with no recording space in two weeks, but hey, where there's a will, there's a way.

And well... here I am, worrying as to whether my album will even do well this weekend or not... = w=;;;;



From this point on, I'll do my best! m(___ ___)m

Would this count as a popular song cover? wwwww





*ageha/AELITA

No comments:

Post a Comment